Saint Cadogan of Shrewsbury, UK
St. Cadogan has been identified with Caddugan ap Bleddyn, a Welsh prince, who opposed the English in 1097. In the 13th century a chapel dedicated to St. Cadogan was built on 'Le Crossway' as The Mount was then known. It is thought that the chapel stood where Cadogan's House now stands on the corner of the Shropshire Barracks Lane. The chapel was built in close proximity to an earlier stone cross known as St. Cadogan's Cross. In 1355, Thomas Gamel left the sum of two shillings to the 'hermit of Cadoganscross'. It is recorded that the Cadogan's Cross was used for the delivery of Rogation Day sermons during the reign of Henry VIII and that preaching in the open continued there until 1542.
The Shrewsbury chapel and cross functioned until the dissolution of the monasteries when they shared a similar fate to many ecclesiastical buildings and during the second half of the seventeenth century the chapel fell into ruin. In 1604 the town of Shrewsbury suffered an outbreak of plague and the Corporation agreed, 'that the Bailiffs shall compound for ye rents and then set workmen to repair Cadogan's Chapel and make it habitable for the poor infected persons within this town,' and thereafter it became a pest house. Once the plague was over it is not clear what became of the restored chapel but the original Bull in the Barne Inn stood where the Shropshire Cadogan House now stands on the consecrated ground of St. Cadogan's Chapel, perhaps the old chapel continued in secular usage! The old Bull in the Barn Inn earned notoriety for the number of irregular marriages that took place there, a practice in some way connected with the earlier Shrewsbury chapel. The old Bull in the Barne Inn was demolished about 1821.
In 1642 Lord Capel had a fort constructed on the top of The Mount to defend the town against Parliamentary forces, this he called Cadogan's Fort. In 1817 John Whitehurst II had the row of three-story houses built on the north side of The Mount (now with the new 'Bull in the Barne' at its centre), this terrace was originally named Cadogan Place.